June 7, 2010
Our Client:Our client is a Global, mid-sized insurance firm who has witnessed tremendous growth in the last 4 years. In an effort to support future growth while containing risks, our client has engaged our services to assist in securing a Senior Audit professional.
Key Objective:To design, plan and conduct effective internal audits of the syndicates and our client’s various companies. To provide assurance to the Audit Committee of the effectiveness of the internal controls within the group
- In conjunction with the Internal Audit Team, provide an independent, objective assurance service aimed at strengthening internal controls and business processes throughout the business.
- Schedule, plan and deliver risk based audits in line with the annual audit plan, taking full responsibility for individual assignments from planning through to the issuing of audit reports.
- Internal audit work will involve:-
- clear documentation of work done, the results of testing and any issues arising;
- execution/review of process maps, risk assessments and testing;
- identification of risks and weaknesses and where relevant suggest controls and processes to improve;
- Identification of key remedial actions; testing processes and implementing action plan to ensure robust controls are established/strengthened;
- contribution to the development of management action where this is required;
- Complete and present clear, concise and accurate Audit Reports to Business Heads and senior management.
- Contribute to the development of robust management assurance processes/embedded monitors.
- Liaise with the external auditors as required
- Perform ad-hoc internal audit projects on specific ‘hot topics’ as they arise.
- Prepare audit management information for Committees as required.
- To comply with relevant company procedures and policies
Education and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree of any discipline
- Previous experience working as an Operational Auditor within another Insurance firm
- Accounting or Internal Audit qualification preferably obtained with one of the ‘Big 4’ accounting firms.
- Minimum of 7 years experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Confidence to work with all levels of the organisation
- Travel to other US offices will be required – 25-30%
- Ability to demonstrate professional credibility
- Establish and maintain strong relationships within the business;
- Ability to influence
Knowledge and Experience:
- You will currently be either delivering audit to a portfolio of financial services clients or working in an insurance business at a manager level
- Internal audit experience
- Have a thorough knowledge of the principles, procedures & practices of accounting/financial records & transactions within an insurance company
Compensation:Competitive Base/Bonus package
June 6, 2010
Our client provides professionals with a flat management structure along with the latitude within this role to work autonomously. You will report to the Head of Capital & Risk Management located in Europe. The successful candidate will more than likely come from the assurance industry with a focus on the Property & Casualty product line. To begin with, this role will not be provided with a team to manage but the role will provide the candidate with a platform for unparalleled company exposure and career growth. The risk focus within this role will span insurance, operations, and financial risk. Compensation for this role will be commensurate with experience and number of years of experience will vary but we expect to see anywhere from 10 – 20 years of post undergraduate professional experience.
Cross Functional Business Partnering:
- Group Head of Risk & Capital Management and other members of the Risk Management & Actuarial team, Risk Director, Underwriting and Claims Teams, external Clients and Suppliers.
- To work with the business teams to understand the business being written with a focus on either new or unusual products so that the risk from global / portfolio perspective can be understood.
- Communicate & roll out risk management practices throughout the group.
- To assess existing business processes against risk management practices.
- To ensure the risk implications of any business developments such as acquisitions, new product development and corporate restructuring are understood and mitigated.
- Ad-hoc risk reviews of senior management areas of concern.
- To be responsible for initiating and running risk management groups, management committees and workshops as needed.
- To use broad understanding of regulations to implement risk management strategies and ensure the business comply with regulatory and legal requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with various stakeholders, both verbally and in writing.
- Team worker as well as able to work on own initiative.
- Experience in the London market insurance industry (preferred but not required).
- Experience of working effectively with underwriters.
- Outcome focused, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic.
- Analyzes a scenario and sees solutions and doesn’t dwell on “problems”.
May 26, 2010
Our financial services client is looking for a Tax Analyst to join their Norwalk, CT office. In this role, you will be responsible for a broad range of recurring tax functions. You will gather information necessary to prepare tax returns by interacting with accounting and financial personnel; perform technical research; and identify, recommend and complete special projects to improve efficiencies within the department. In addition:
- Prepare corporate federal/state/local income tax returns.
- Prepare partnership federal/state/local income tax returns.
- Prepare forecasts and other analyses associated with projecting the group’s tax position.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, a Bachelor’s degree with a Master’s in taxation will be accepted.
- Two (plus) years of experience in a corporate tax department and/or public accounting firm with tax preparation experience, including experience associated with the corporate and partnership tax compliance function and knowledge of federal and state tax concepts.
- Experience with various tax preparation and research tools.
- Candidates must have knowledge of principles and practices of financial accounting. Advanced proficiency in Excel, proficiency in MS Word, strong analytical skills and attention to detail are required.
May 25, 2010
This position does not require ISDA experience. Rather, someone with a skill set entrenched within the documentation area would be more than sufficient. This role will enable the incumbent to further develop their existing contract administration experience and learn the art of contract negotiations.
Our client (very well known within their product focus) is involved primarily within the financial services industry and they are looking for an Assistant Contract Negotiator to join the Stamford, CT based office. You will be responsible but not limited too:
- You will assist in the daily operations, processing, and negotiation of documents related to International Swaps and Derivatives Association (“ISDA”) agreements.
- You will review incoming confirmations under an ISDA agreement for accuracy and compliance
- In coordination with the law department you will negotiate confidentiality agreements, company guarantees, and amendments to existing ISDA agreements
- Record details of executed ISDA agreements
- Issue weekly ISDA negotiation updates to platform heads.
Our client offers competitive salaries + well above average benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, pre-law or related field.
- Two (plus) years of experience working in a corporate environment, preferably working with or preparing contracts or other legal documents.
- Candidates must also have the ability to interpret legal documents, be proficient in MS Word, Excel, and be able to gather & analyze information to prepare reports and assess contract compliance.
- Candidates must have the ability to analyze and resolve problems related to contracts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- The ability to speak French, Spanish or Portuguese is helpful.
May 25, 2010
Our client, a leading global reinsurer and a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, has an excellent opportunity for an experienced tax professional in its Fairfield county based office.
The position is primarily responsible for the coordination and review of domestic tax returns and tax provisions for insurance and non-insurance entities, including domestic compliance relating to General Re’s international subsidiaries. The successful candidate will be required to interact with all levels of the organization, including global accounting associates, to satisfy General Re’s tax filing requirements.
Other accountabilities include:
- Preparation/review of individual General Re legal entity income tax provisions to be included in quarterly and annual GAAP and Statutory financial statements.
- Assist with the completion of the group’s U.S. tax compliance requirements for timely preparation of the Gen Re group’s federal and international tax returns (e.g. Forms 1120, 5471, 8858).
- Assist in support of tax software.
- Provide support in the completion of ongoing tax examinations by the Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities.
- Research various domestic, international and state tax issues.
- Successful time management of multiple concurrent projects.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 5 to 7 years of relevant corporate tax experience
- (Re)/Insurance industry or International experience a plus
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting
- CPA Certificate a plus
- Working knowledge of FAS109 required (knowledge of SSAP 10 a plus)
- Big 4 Public Accounting or Corporate Tax Department experience
- Advanced degree in Taxation (MS, MBA) a plus
The position requires excellent communication and organizational skills. The organization is looking for an individual who readily assumes responsibility and proactively drives projects to completion. It is expected the candidate who possesses and displays the majority of these skills can advance to more responsible positions.
May 25, 2010
Senior Middle Office Analyst
This Investment group manages a fund (1X and 2X) with effective AUM of approx $1 billion. Growth has been very strong as 2009 ended with $400MM AUM. Almost $600mm AUM has been added. The key to this role is futures or commodities experience. Greeks essential!
This role in a hedge fund specialized in soft commodities (mainly agricultural commodities). Your role is important to the whole organization. You will be responsible for calculating the NAV (Net Asset Value) on a daily basis. You will also reconcile daily the trades in our systems, comparing the broker’s statements with what is showing in our internal position management system. We expect you to be able to automate your tasks so it makes your job more efficient. That is why we will consider a strong VBA knowledge as an important positive point.
The Middle-Office function in our fund has two main components: NAV calculation, RISK calculation. Your job will concentrate mainly on the NAV calculation. The job will offer you the ability to expand your knowledge as we plan to open different funds in the medium term. The reconciliation process means you will have daily contacts with the traders and deliver for them. We want you to be a self-starter as management time will be limited. Hence after a few weeks/months spent to understand fully the tools you are working with, we want you to be pro-active and find ways to improve them. We have a one team approach, so you will most likely assume other people’s responsibilities (when they are away for instance), this represents a good opportunity to widen your skills (in market risk analysis for instance).
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Reconciling trades on a daily basis
- Calculate the NAV daily.
- Reconcile our NAV with the administrator NAV monthly
- Reconcile FX movements across the books.
- Identifying all major risks associated with the company’s ongoing operations and conduct of its business and evaluating the potential risks being undertaken as a result of business growth and development.
- Check with traders that the reported positions are accurate and that the NAV makes sense.
- Have a thorough knowledge of our systems (from Front-Office to Back-Office).
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement of our systems
- Ensure inputs to the risk system (both positions and prices) are accurate and timely
- Improve the internal reporting procedures.
- Provide assistance with ongoing development of the current databases
- Analyze the reported figures and contribute to the enforcement of Stop Loss Limits
- Monitor portfolio intra day / provide real time updates to Portfolio managers as Greek’s change / risks within portfolio change
- Ad-hoc analysis
- Attention to details with a strong focus on accuracy of information.
- Logical, analytical, numerical ability.
- Willingness and ability to work with and improve existing procedures
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to resolve issues and liaise with Portfolio managers / Risk officer and management globally.
- Positive attitude and enthusiastic approach. Ability to work in a team environment and meet deadlines.
- Strong IT skills. Excel required, good VBA knowledge beneficial, PowerPoint, SQL, and Access.
- Self-starter, Self motivated and a quick learner
- Strong English language
- Able to work easily in a multi-cultural environment
- Good presentation skills.
- Previous exposure in a trading environment, middle-office, risk management or related function within a trading environment.
- Knowledge of physical soft commodity markets or futures is a MUST.
- Exposure to VaR useful, in addition to MtM / PnL
- To COO located internationally…
May 20, 2010
Our client, a global financial services firm, is looking for an Assistant Director of Taxes – State and Local to join the Stamford, Connecticut office.
Responsibilities include but not limited too:
- Manage the state and local tax position of U.S. Group companies, including oversight of state and local tax compliance.
- Evaluate U.S. Group companies’ state and local tax position and identify and implement appropriate tax mitigation techniques.
- Responsible for state and local income and franchise tax controversies.
- Oversight responsibility for real and personal property tax reporting and planning.
- You will prepare income tax provisions with respect to state and local taxes, including FIN 48 considerations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business related discipline OR Bachelor’s degree with a Master’s degree in taxation (preferred).
- 8 – 12 years experience in the tax area including providing consulting services to clients in the SALT area
- Experience managing SALT planning, compliance and special projects in a significant corporate environment including direct interaction with senior executives
May 18, 2010
This key finance position is responsible for ensuring a high level of control over the income tax provision and income tax compliance processes for all company entities. The scope of the role includes 4 business entities as well as 4 special purpose entities. In addition, this position plays an integral role with the financial planning teams to forecast all tax related accounts on the P&L and balance sheet. This person will be the key tax contact for the US companies for all significant business decisions to ensure that the tax implications of a decision are properly considered. Finally, this person is responsible for monitoring all tax law changes within the US and ensuring proper planning is in place to adapt to such changes.
– Manage the outsourcing of federal and state income tax compliance for all Group U.S. companies
– Manage the income tax accounting functions, including quarterly and year end provisions for all U.S. companies
– Perform tax research as required
– Manage tax examinations;
– Manage tax forecasting for budget process
– Responsible for SOX testing and documentation for tax processes
– Manage tax accountant and student intern
– Manage administrative functions for the tax department, including maintaining all files, audit calendars, archives, and assisting with intercompany tax charges
– Bachelor Degree in Accounting, CPA +
– 5-7 years corporate tax experience
– Public accounting experience – corporate tax function
– FAS 109 experience is required
– Inbound tax experience is a + (US subsidiary owned by a foreign parent)
– Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects and communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
– Strong analytical, written communication and interpersonal skills
– Management experience – team building, development, coaching